Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Day 6...

Well Christmas has come and gone and we survived.  The boys were thrilled with all their gifts - Alex got 3 new Star Wars Lego kits, clothes, a remote control car and many other items, and Joey was excited with his haul of books, coloring kits, clothes, and all things Mickey Mouse Clubhouse related.  Santa also treated our family with a new game (as is his tradition).  This year it was Zingo! - a Discovery Toys game, similar to Bingo.  It's a riot to play with the boys.  I'd highly recommend it!! (My boys are 6 & 3)  If it sounds neat to you, and you're in Canada, I can hook you up with it.  (And it's not a sales pitch - it really is a great game!) :)

We are also on Day 6 of no ADHD meds for Alex.  The first few days were very rough, I will admit.  Constant reminders ("Alex, get dressed!", "Alex, stop jumping on the couch!", "Alex, get your hand out of your pants!"... lol), constant mediation between him and his brother, and just the constant need to be more patient than ever with him.  The sound effects, humming, and incessant talking (often about bowel movements or anatomy...) have returned in full form.  The inability to keep his hands to himself has returned to an extent.  On the plus side though, he has been eating like he's a bottomless pit and had already gained three pounds, sleeping in daily and not battling us at bedtime at all.  He seems genuinely happy, laughing alot and showing affection.

It's all kind of bittersweet, because I know the pros are only temporary.  Realistically, he would not be able to function 'normally' at his age and grade level at school without the meds.  It's frustrating and a little heartbreaking for me.  He is so smart (and I know every mother says that about their kid, but it's true!), and I feel like by giving him meds to help him I am also essentially binding and gagging some of the things that make him who he is.  His eyes don't shine as brightly when he's on meds.  He doesn't hug me the same way when he's on meds.

This seems to be turning into an ADHD-themed blog, which actually was never my intention.  I suppose though since it is such a huge part of our lives it only makes sense that I need a place to put down all my thoughts about it. 

We'll see what the next blog post brings...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Gabi, thanks for your courage in sharing real life with an ADHD child...very normalizing for all of us parents in similarly painted boats. We too are managing the impulsiveness & hands to yourself over the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joy! Been thinking of you guys and wondering how your holidays have been too. Looking forward to school starting in a couple days!! :)

    ReplyDelete